How can you change your behaviour?
When your mood is low or you feel anxious, it is common to stop doing the things you love. When you think about it, it is the opposite of what you should do. When you are feeling a little down, it is best to do the things you are passionate about.
What do you normally do when you’re feeling great? Do you catch up with friends? Play a game with your kids? Do some gardening? This might give you a few clues about what might lift your mood.
Have a go at choosing a few activities from the list below. Try them out this weekend. Take note of how you feel afterwards. Did your mood improve?
- Watch a funny TV show
- Do one of your hobbies
- Call a friend who really understands your struggles
- Reach out to a support group
- Ask your kids if you can play a game with them
- Invite a friend over for a cup of tea or to watch a movie
- Read that book you’ve been meaning to read
- Listen to your favourite music
- Go for a short walk around your suburb
- Take the family for a trip to the bush or the beach
- Plant a tree
Remember that everyone is different and relaxes in different ways. Changing your behaviour can change the way you feel. Have a think about the things YOU enjoy doing and give it a go.